We want to make sure you have a positive experience when purchasing animals. Therefore, we’ve made the following terms as flexible as possible.
Why is this important? Because many websites offer an experience where you just point and click on an item, make a payment and you’re done. But it’s not that easy is it? What about shipping details, how they currently being cared for, what specific care does the animal need? These are very important questions one must know when making a responsible purchase.
When purchasing animals one must arrange shipping, packaging, pickup, or paperwork. Therefore, we try to be as flexible as possible to accommodate your needs.
By purchasing an animal from DHR you are agreeing to everything on this page including the following:
Customer Requirements when purchasing animals
Before we release animals to new homes, we ask a some basic questions on how you plan on caring for your reptile.
We would like to ask if you would kindly share how you plan on providing:
- Temperatures (warm and cool end of the enclosure)
- How do you plan on measuring temperature?
- Humidity requirements for the given animal
- How do you plan on measuring humidity?
- Feeding requirements (prey type and feed schedule)
- Type and size of enclosure being used
- How you plan on heating the enclosure
Secondly, we would like to ask you to share pictures of your setup. We like to ensure our customers have an enclosure already setup before they bring a new animal home. You don’t need to provide the pictures right away, as long as you’re able to share them before delivery.
Finally, we’ll provide constructive feedback, given the details you have shared.
- Buyers are expected to read, understand, and agree with our terms of service before placing deposits and purchasing animals.
- All animals are guaranteed to be healthy, feeding (Exception1) and correctly sexed (Exception 2).
- Buyers are expected to understand and abide by their local by-laws when purchasing animals. Be a responsible pet owner!
- DHR has the right to withhold sales if we feel the buyer is unable to provide proper accommodations for the animal. We want to make sure the animals you purchase are going to thrive, especially for sensitive animals such as Emerald Tree Boas. We’ll be happy to work with you to help you setup your animals correctly. However, if keepers don’t have the correct accommodations and are not willing to provide them, then we retain the right to refuse sale.
- Buyers understand that it is their responsibility to properly house and care for their animals in their care.
- All sales are final; we cannot be expected to accept the return of animal if you’ve made a spontaneous purchase. Please make responsible purchases.
- Unless otherwise agreed, animals being held for more than 30 days, either with a deposit or paid in full, are subject to a $2.50 weekly care charge. This is only fair since we must feed and clean your animal while it remains in our care.
- Customers are responsible for appropriate quarantine practices upon receiving animals.
- Customers hold full responsibility for the animal(s) welfare and the safety of themselves, other animals, and others.
Exceptions to general terms:
- Buyers understand that during certain times of the year adult animals may naturally go off feed for breeding purposes and under these circumstances feeding is not a guarantee.
- In some cases, animals cannot be sexed at the time of sale because of their age or in some cases the species. Examples include Amazon Tree Boas, Emerald Tree Boas, Green Tree Pythons, and Blue-tongue Skinks unless otherwise communicated.
- Email money transfer (EMT)
- Direct Deposit (wire transfer)
Note: Payment in full is required and properly cleared into our account before any animals are shipped.
- All animals are available on a first come first serve basis. We’ll do our best to accommodate you!
- Animals are not considered sold until a deposit is received.
- A minimum of 25% deposit is required to hold animals.
- If we cannot supply you with your animal, we’ll refund your deposit promptly.
- Deposits are transferable from one animal to another within reason which will be at our discretion. i.e.: constantly changing animals because you’re unsure is not acceptable. Please be considerate.
- Deposits are non-refundable.
Shipping – Domestic:
We offer several shipping options with the following carriers:
- Air Canada Live Cargo
- If your Air Canada Terminal supports live animals (most do).
- Reptile Express International
- With Reptile Express we only ship to FedEx Ship Centers
- We no longer ship to residences. Why? Because we don’t want the risk of FedEx knocking on your front door and then walking away, leaving the box on your door step. This is highly detrimental to your animals during less than ideal weather conditions. It’s also not a responsible way of managing animals.
- FedEx Ship Centers have temperature controlled rooms for live cargo
- FedEx Ship Centers differ from “FedEx Authorized” or “FedEx Onsite” centers because they are employed by FedEx staff instead of a third party.
- With Reptile Express we only ship to FedEx Ship Centers
- Alternatively, animals can be picked up in Ontario, Canada (Toronto area).
Shipping – International:
We ship animals legally, using approved shipping materials and methods.
We offer shipping to United States (US) and European (EU) customers (HAMM/Amsterdam) customers. Please contact us for additional details.
CITES protect animals (Boas, Pythons, Monitors, etc.)
Boas and pythons are Federally protected species, and therefore require CITES paperwork and Fish & Wildlife inspection when crossing Federal borders.
- Shipping and export permits can take up to three months. This is typical for international shipments so please be patient.
- Please contact us for a quote on shipping fees for International Orders.
Non-CITES animals (Most colubrid snakes, Skinks, etc.)
Most of our colubrid snakes and some lizards are no listed as CITES, therefore hey only require Fish & Wildlife inspection when crossing Federal borders which makes the process faster and shipping more affordable.
Live Arrival (domestic & foreign):
We guarantee live arrival on animals given the following conditions:
- All shipments must arrive at the pre-scheduled arrival time. We do not offer live arrival on late shipments.
- We do not guarantee live arrival for lost or stolen shipments. Lost/stolen packages must be reported to the carrier and to us immediately. We cannot be held responsible for the carrier’s miss-handling or loss of shipments.
- All shipments must be opened and inspected within three hours of pre-scheduled arrival time. This is especially important in colder weather as Heat Packs can get too hot in unopened boxes kept in a warm place.
- For any Dead-on Arrival (DOA) animals, photographic evidence must be provided to us within three hours of inspection, and the pictures must be good enough quality for us at DHR to determine its validity as evidence.
- If an animal is DOA, it is the customer’s responsibility to report it to the carrier, and file claim for any reimbursement of shipping charges where applicable.
- Reptile Express only offers a shipping fee Money Back Guarantee add-on, whereby if there were any DOA’s (dead on arrivals) in their shipments, Reptile Express would refund the full value of the shipping fee noted in their shipping quote (this does NOT include the animal’s value).
- Air Canada Live Cargo will reimburse a portion of the shipping fee (this does NOT include the animals value).
- Live arrival guarantee will only apply to the cost of the animal and not the cost of shipping. Shipping costs for replacement animals are the responsibility of the buyer.
- Live arrival guarantee only applies to the shipping period and is void once you take possession of the animal.
- If you are not satisfied with your order and the conditions above have been met, we will replace your animal provided you notify us and adhere to the above terms within three hours from the time of shipment arrival.
We must stress that we’ve never had a shipment arrive where animals arrived DOA. We make every effort to ship animals with the best packaging materials and weather conditions available.
Return and refund Policy
We do not offer customer refunds or returns. Under special circumstances we may offer customer credit however this is under our discretion.
Note: In the event a shipment is returned there is a 100% restocking fee (shipping materials).
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time in order to improve the services we provide.
If you have any questions about these terms, please feel free to contact us for further details.